Job Opportunity | Biology/Life Sciences Teacher
Winter Sports School seeks a dynamic, highly-qualified, creative secondary science educator to teach Biology and other Life Science course(s) beginning in the 2020 school year. Start date could be as early as April 1 for our Spring Semester, or more likely July 1 for the start of our Summer Semester (depending upon candidate availability and teaching assignments). Ours is a one-of-a-kind school with teaching assignments that do not conform to traditional school assignments. Most of our teachers teach between 50-75% FTE between April (or July) and November, then often pursue other passions (and sometimes income) during the winter months, including teaching skiing, guiding outdoor adventures, tutoring, volunteering, substitute teaching). It is a high-intensity and highly-rewarding environment in which faculty and staff support each other in every way and teachers get to really know and care for all 120 students each year. Part-Time (with Potential for Full Time in the future)
- Teach one section each of two one-credit HS science courses to 9th and 10th-grade students, including Biology and another Life or Physical Science area, depending upon qualification (e.g Environmental Science, Anatomy & Physiology, Sport Science, Earth Science) in our Summer & Fall Semesters (July-November) and, ideally, one .5 credit elective course in our Spring Semester (April-June). Spring Semester assignment is negotiable based on interest, availability, and experience.
- Serve as Science Department Lab Coordinator to support our two other science teachers in inventory & ordering lab materials, and preparing for and facilitating lab sessions as the class schedule permits. Coordinate scheduling and keep a calendar of lab days in the Lab classroom with other two science teachers.
- * Potential to increase FTE total if the candidate is interested/willing to serve as a Teaching Assistant in other science classrooms, depending upon schedule availability, or can contribute in an administrative support role to our Development/Fundraising Management efforts.
- 4-year degree in education or life science-related field is required
- Secondary teaching experience or experience in an education-related field preferred
- Utah Educator License with corresponding endorsements to teach courses included above is preferred
Qualities of Professional Excellence | WSS Teachers are expected to:
- Actively collaborate with students, colleagues, and parents to build and maintain effective, respectful relationships that serve as the foundation for all learning.
- Collaborate in Professional Learning Communities according to established PLC policies and norms.
- Follow established curriculum maps and work with the Director of Curriculum & Instruction & PLC team to revise as needed.
- Assist in developing and administering common formative and summative assessments.
- Utilize data from assessments to drive instruction and provide intervention within the UMTSS framework.
- Develop and implement whole course, unit, and daily lesson plans and implement assessment tasks/assignments that will ensure proficiency of Utah Core Standards, and follow Understanding by Design principles.
- Demonstrate and supervise the safe and proper use of equipment necessary for Science.
- Monitor students' progress, assign tasks, and grade assignments in a timely manner, updating the online grade book at least weekly.
- Discuss students' progress with parents, students, counselors, administrators, and PLC teams on a regular basis, responding to communications within 2 school days.
- Implement and enforce WSS Universal Classroom Expectations and safety procedures, utilizing effective classroom management procedures.
- Meet expectations as assigned by the administration, including core employee expectations of professionalism surrounding response to communication, attendance, timeliness of administrative task assignments, grading and feedback, collaboration with colleagues, students & families.
- Familiarity and willingness to utilize technology in the classroom, including Google Apps, CANVAS LMS, and Aspire SIS.
- Track and maintain continuing education/professional training records and maintain active Utah Teaching Licensing with applicable endorsements; those without licensure or required endorsements are expected to collaborate with the Head of School to create a plan for pursuing licensure/required endorsements through the applicable UT state Teacher Licensing procedure.
Compensation & Benefits:
- All WSS employees qualify for participation in our 401K retirement savings plan with up to 4% matching contribution from the school, receive an after-tax Healthcare Stipend based on FTE%, and receive generous PTO for professional development opportunities, personal vacation, and illness. Employees at 75% FTE and above also qualify to participate in optional Health Insurance Coverage through Regence BC/BS of Utah in place of the Healthcare Stipend, though as described the current position (as posted) does not yet qualify. WSS educator employment agreements include 144 contract days for teachers teaching all three terms and 100 for those teaching Summer & Fall semesters only. Salary is competitive in UT, based on FTE, education level, and years of teaching experience, with a range for 100% FTE from $39K-$70K