2012 Alpine Racing Round-Up
The Winter Sports School is tremendously proud that its student and alumni community has grown to include athletes in just about every winter sports discipline. We sometimes remind ourselves, however, that the school started in 1994 with a very small student body 100% comprised of alpine skiers based in Park City. This season, we are very happy indeed to see how spectacularly our local alpine contingent is doing!
- Ian Griffith ’14 has been selected as the top Intermountain J3 men’s qualifier for the Western Region J3 championships to be held at Bridger Bowl and Big Sky, Montana March 15th – 18th, 2012.
- Bridger Clifford ’11 hit the USSA’s top 60 point level to get himself appointed to the Park City Ski Team’s A Team with back-to-back 5th place finishes at the IMD slaloms in Snowbird February 11th and 12th.
- Fiona Morrison ’12 made the PCST A Team by achieving her second top 60 point result in Sun Valley at the Laura Flood Memorial GS race.
- Riley Peek ’12 made the PCST A Team by lowering his points below the 60 point mark at the Eric Hays Memorial slalom event.
- All three of the Park City Ski Team’s named “Athletes of the Month” this season are Winter Sports School students and alums: Sophie Frankenburg ’11 in December 2011, Bridget French ’10 in January 2012, and Katy Greene ’12 in February 2012.
- Cheech Minnear ’12 had the fastest women’s J2 times at two USSA Intermountain super-G events.
- Rachel Jakob ’12 had the fastest women’s J2 time at one USSA Intermountain super-G event, and the third fastest time in another.
- Riley Greene ’12 had the fastest men’s J2 times at two USSA Intermountain super-G events, and the second fastest in a third. Those performances also earned Riley two third-place overall finishes among all J1-J3 participants, and one fourth place finish.
- Darwin Taylor ’12 had the fastest men’s J2 time at a USSA Intermountain super-G event, earning him 2nd place overall among J1-J3 participants.
- Taly Polukoff ’12 had the second fastest women’s J2 time at a USSA Intermountain super-G event.
- Hannah Hunsaker ’14 had the second fastest women’s J2 time at a USSA Intermountain super-G event.
- Remy Smith ’12 had the third fastest women’s J2 time at a USSA Intermountain super-G event.
- The list of alpine athletes qualifying to compete in the Western Region Junior Championship March 8th through 12th is chock full of WSS students / PCST athletes: Sophie Frankenburg ’11, Cheech Minnear ’12, Hannah Hunsaker ’14, Bridget French ’10, Taly Polukoff ’12, Rachel Jakob ’12, Fiona Morrison ’12, Remy Smith ’12, Max Staples ’11, Kieran Adams ’11, Bridger Clifford ’11, Riley Greene ’12, Hayes Graham ’12, Darwin Taylor ’12, Hayes Lowth ’11, Harrison Padan ’12, Riley Peek ’12, and Eric Hanaman ’12.
As a side note, of all the Park City Ski Team athletes who qualified for the Western Region Junior Championships, all but three are either Winter Sports School alumni or current students, and one of those three has committed to attending The Winter Sports School starting this spring. We must be doing something right as a school community. We couldn’t be more proud of all of you, and we couldn’t be more delighted as you put your (relatively) free time from academics during the winter to such amazing use. We all hope you have a fantastic remainder of the season, and we’ll keep watching. Congratulations to you all!